TO: CITY OF QUESNEL & CARIBOO REGIONAL DISTRICT
BRIEFING NOTE SUBJECT: On November 28, 2012 The Quesnel Air Quality Round Table (QAQRT) held its semi-annual meeting at city hall.
- Updates were presented from roundtable members including: The Baker Creek Enhancement Society, Northern Health, The Quesnel Community and Economic Development Corporation, and Ministry of Environment.
- The QAQRT discussed the final phase of the current Air Management Plan which concludes in 2016. As part of this end-cycle, new strategies for budgeting and funding sources will need to be determined, to continue the good work done to date. Future activities of the QAQRT will be prioritized, based on the Quesnel Airshed Management Plan Review (Zirnhelt, 2011)
- The current funding structure for the QAQRT will continue until 2016, with a budgetary review on an annual basis. The QAQRT will work to maintain existing funding as well as secure additional funding sources. The point was raised that long term funding is a challenge to obtain, in the face of the project based funding trend, as evidenced by the recent CRD offer to help fund QAQRT project activities only, at this time.
- In Quesnel, the QAQRT and the Ministry of Environment monitor air quality for different chemicals and particulate matter, on a daily basis. At the November 28th meeting, the QAQRT discussed and agreed to purchase a new air monitoring device for the West Correlieu Monitoring Station. This will be the second machine to be upgraded in the network. The first machine-upgrade was for the Quesnel Junior Secondary School Monitoring Station (provided by Ministry of Environment) and the unit at the Maple Drive Monitoring Station will be the last to be replaced (for a map showing the station locations please visit (http://www.quesnelairshed.org/air-quality-monitoring/).
- The public education strategy will be continued and carried out by the QAQRT in the coming months. Communicating to the public about how we may decrease particulate matter in the air-shed will be the primary goal of this effort.